Australian expat and publisher of VICE Impact, Katherine Keating, provides us with her best tips for visiting NYC.
List your favourite, must-visit NYC restaurants:
- 55 Water St, Brooklyn, NY 11201 Italian dishes newly opened in Dumbo. SANTINA
- 820 Washington St, New York, NY 10014 A coastal Italian restaurant created byMario Carbone, Rich Torrisi and Jeff Zalaznick. BALTHAZAR
- 80 Spring Street, New York, NY 10012, United States NARCISSA
- 25 Cooper Square, New York, NY 10003, United States INDOCHINE
- 430 Lafayette Street, New York, NY 10003, United States THE MUSKET ROOM
- 265 Elizabeth Street, New York, NY 10012, United States ABC KITCHEN
- 35 East 18th Street, New York, NY 10003, United States MR CHOWS
- 121 Hudson Street, New York, NY 10013, United States RED FARM
- 529 Hudson Street, New York, NY 10014, United States DIRTY FRENCH
- The Ludlow hotel, 180 Ludlow Street, New York, NY BAR PITTI
- 268 6th Avenue, New York, NY 10014, United States CIPRIANI
- 376 West Broadway, New York, NY 10012, United States
What are the best activities for families or kids?
- 830 5th Avenue, New York, NY, United States CENTRAL PARK
- New York, NY, United States CENTRAL PARK ZOO
- 64th St and 5th Ave, New York, NY 10021, United States AMERICAN NATURAL HISTORY MUSEUM
- Central Park W & 79th St, New York, NY, United States THE LEGO STORE
- Rockefeller Center, 620 5th Avenue, New York, NY 10020, United States FAO SCHWARZ
- 767 5th Avenue, New York, NY 10022, United States
What are the best local cultural activities in NY?
BROADWAY - Broadway, New York, NY. A night on Broadway is always worth investing in. On any given night the leading actors in the world are performing and the quality of the plays are extraordinary. I would look out for The National Theatre
productions, everything they do is sensational. A NIGHT OUT AT LINCOLN CENTRE
- 10 Lincoln Centre Plaza, New York, NY 10023. Alternatively a night at the Ballet, or Opera, at Lincoln Centre. CHELSEA GALLERY DISTRICT
Avenue, New York, NY. Tour the Chelsea Gallery district, starting from 20th Street and 10th Avenue, up until 27th Street CENTRAL PARK
- Central Park, New York, NY. Take a stroll through Central Park, coupled with lunch at the Boat House, or a visit to the Met. ONE WORLD TRADE CENTRE
- World Trade Centre, New York, NY. A Citi Bike
ride down the WestSide Bike Path, all the way down to the World Trade Centre Site. THE STANDARD HOTEL ROOFTOP
- 848 Washington at 13th Street, New York 10014, NY. Sunset drinks on the rooftop of the Standard Hotel is always special, you get to see the entire city from there.
What are your favourite museums/art galleries?
- 99 Gansevoort St, New York, NY 10014, USA DIA ART FOUNDATION
- 535 West 22nd Street, New York, NY 10011, United States MOMA -
11 West 53rd Street, New York, NY 10019, United States MOMA PS1
- 22-25 Jackson Avenue, Long Island City, NY 11101, United States THE FRICK COLLECTION
- 1 East 70th Street, New York, NY 10021, United States THE METROPOLITAN MUSEUM
- 1000 5th Avenue, New York, NY 10028, United States GAGOSIAN GALLERY
- 555 West 24th Street, New York, NY, United States DAVID SWIRNER GALLERY
- 537 West 20th Street New York, NY 10011. PACE GALLERY
- 32 East 57th Street, New York, NY 10022, United States PAUL KASMIN GALLERY
- 293 10th Avenue, New York, NY 10001, United States GLADSTONE GALLERY
- 515 West 24th Street, New York, NY 10011
What is your favourite ‘precinct’ or area of NY?
The West Village and Soho. I love taking strolls from the meat packing district through the West Village to Soho.
Do you have any insider tips for NY that most people wouldn’t normally know about?
Venture out in the city, even if you are travelling by yourself. The city is more inviting than you can imagine. Every night in NY is an adventure, you never know where it will take you. You kind find Katherine on Instagram at @kjjkeatin
g and VICE Impact.